Friday, March 5, 2010

Mix

Making the mix was the most time consuming and labor intensive part. I started by laying out a large tarp.

Next I dumped compost, vermiculite, and peat moss in the middle of the tarp. I used a rake to spread the pile out evenly and then pulled the corners of the tarp to the middle. I repeated that process until it was an even mixture.

Then I put a layer of landscape fabric under my boxes to keep the weeds and grass from growing up into my garden.

Once the landscape fabric was down I had to move my huge pile of mix into the boxes. I had a helper for this part.

The last step was to use my twine and eye bolts to make a grid. 16 total squares per box.

4 comments:

  1. Great idea to keep a blog! I just started my SFG too. Maybe I will keep a blog too. Yours are much prettier than mine. I didn't build raised beds because I have good soil and no extra money for supplies. So far so good. Good luck to you. I will follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job. Keep us posted on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Keep checking in. I am about to start updating more frequently.

    ReplyDelete